Friday, August 21, 2009

Letters from Friends and Loved Ones Remembering Allen and Opposing Chad Hamilton's Parole

Dear Arkansas Parole Board Members,

It is disheartening to me to be going through this process again just as we did only a few months ago. It is difficult to be watching the Fortune family continue to endure the pain and heartache as this murderer is challenging the authority of the State Parole Board and a decision that has already been established. Mr. Hamilton continues to be a threat to society in general and to many people in my hometown community and as the previously written letter below explains, I remain strongly opposed to the release of this man under any circumstances: I am writing this letter in hopes that you will not let Chad Hamilton out on parole. It has only been four short years since the death of Allen Fortune. I remember my mother waking me up to tell me the horrible news and couldn’t imagine that it would turn my world upside down. That Saturday we spent the entire day with Allen’s mourning family and I remember hoping that it was just a horrible nightmare. That following Monday I broke down at school because students and teachers talked about Allen’s death and they were clueless of what a tragedy it really was. I even remember months and months afterward crying myself to sleep thinking of the pain that it caused to lose someone you love, but also I cried for his family and his closest friends. It is so hard because Allen’s future was stolen from him and he missed out on so many things. He would never be able to graduate from college, get married, have children, or be present for major events in family members’ and friends’ lives.

I first met Allen Fortune when I was six months old and he was seven. His mother took care of my older sister and me while my parents worked. Allen and his sister, Angela were home schooled for several years and after they finished their lessons each day we played together. Allen and I became inseparable and he basically became my older brother. I looked up to him so much that I tried to be like him. On my fourth birthday, I asked for a cowboy hat, boots, and a toy gun. I cherished the time we spent together as a children and it was amazing that a boy seven years older than me enjoyed it too. Even as Allen became a teenager he took time to talk to my sister and me. I remember helping his mother babysit and Allen would come by after work to check on his mom and play with the two small children. It was amazing to see a twenty-year-old young man be concerned for his mother and to care so much about children. He was always very gentle and so kind. Allen is terribly missed and his death has affected so many people.

I plead again do not let Chad Hamilton out on parole, not only for the safety of Allen’s family and friends, but also for the city of Stuttgart. If this happened once, couldn’t it happen again? I would never wish someone else to go through all the pain and loss. It is hard for me to look at Stuttgart as safe place even now. I can’t imagine what it would be like if Chad were to get out of jail. I only ask that justice be served.


Sincerely,
Lauren Osburne

-------------------------------------------------------

Dear Members of the Parole Board:

As much as it pains me to be writing you this letter, only four months after Chad Hamilton’s original parole hearing, my pain does not even pretend to scratch the surface of the suffering that my dear friend and roommate, Angela Fortune, sister of the victim Allen Fortune, has had to endure. I witness the torment, grief, and loss that lives with her in every moment of every day, and continues to impact her heart, mind and daily activities. Chad Hamilton was convicted, in two separate jury trials, for the murder of Allen Fortune. As a citizen of the United States of America, I must ask the question of how someone that has been convicted of manslaughter of an innocent victim can be released from all punishment after only serving a small portion of his sentence? I understand that Chad and his family and friends must be rooting for his release, and feeling as though he has suffered enough. However, I beg for you all to consider how the actions of one man, Chad Hamilton, have devastatingly altered the lives of everyone in the Fortune family, Stuttgart community, and anyone else who knew, loved and cherished Allen Fortune. While Chad and his family will undoubtedly plea for his release, please remember that his family is not experiencing the suffering or able to understand the grief experienced by all of those that dearly loved Allen Fortune.

As I write this letter, I feel compelled to start by telling you about the outstanding character, loving nature and kind heartedness of Allen Fortune. Allen was undoubtedly a young man who recognized that the most important things in life were to love God first, and to love others before himself. Allen was known for being friends with anyone who needed a friend, for lovingly help take care of his mother in her poor health, for serving those that needed to be served, and ultimately for his willingness to keep the peace and protect others, no matter the cost. The cost Allen ultimately paid for with his life.

I did not personally have the honor of knowing Allen Fortune. However, as a close friend and some would say sister, of Allen’s sister, Angela Fortune, I feel as if I have known Allen my entire life. I often have to remind myself that I did not know Allen here on this earth, because I so accurately know him through the stories of those that love him most, and the strong legacy that he left. As one of Angela Fortune’s college roommates, I was there the night that Angela received the call that Allen was murdered. I personally witnessed the moments of shock and devastation the Fortune family went through upon hearing of Allen’s death. I saw the wound in Allen’s heart as his sweet mother lay over his body in the hospital room. I have heard the cries and stories of friends and family in the Stuttgart community that were deeply affected by Allen’s life. I know without a doubt that the loss of Allen Fortune has left a hole in the hearts of countless, a hole that cannot be mended.

As a current roommate and close friend of Allen’s sister, Angela Fortune, I have most closely seen how Allen’s death has wrecked and devastated her world. Angela Fortune is one of the strongest, loving and most positive people I have ever known. It has been shocking for me to witness how her brother’s death has changed her world. Angela continues to be light to the world through teaching reading to middle school students and constantly ministering to others around her, yet not a day goes by that her heart doesn’t pain for the loss of her baby brother. Angela’s love for her brother made her feel like a second mother to Allen, and her grief is nothing short of a mother loosing her child.

As a close friend of the Fortune family, and out of my love for Allen Fortune, I beg you to consider the precious life that was taken by Chad Hamilton, and to not grant his parole after only having served a small portion of his sentence. I equally beg you to consider the love that has been forever stripped away from all those that dearly loved Allen. My plea is not for revenge and severe punishment to be bestowed on the convicted, but rather that the precious life of Allen Fortune, a kind-hearted and loving young man, be honored by our justice system.

Sincerely,
Meredith White

-------------------------------------------------------

To members of the Arkansas State Parole Board:

It is with deep regard for the difficult role you serve that I write to you asking that you please deny Chad Hamilton (ADC#: 133998) parole. I am saddened to have to be watching the Fortune family once again go through the pain of the parole process because of Mr. Hamilton’s choice to appeal your decision of just four months ago. Each time it forces them to relive their beloved Allen’s death and is like salt to their wounded hearts.

As I have walked alongside the Fortune family through the darkest valleys of their lives—from the night I woke up to the screams of Allen’s sister learning her baby brother had been murdered, to going through two excruciatingly difficult murder trials, to caring for Allen’s mother in the final months of her life and witnessing first-hand the depth of her broken heart over the loss of her son and the toll it took on her—I have intimately seen the devastating and earth-shattering impact this man, Chad Hamilton, has had on not only one family but on scores of family and friends whose lives will never be the same.

While my heart aches for the Fortune family, I plead with you to keep Chad Hamilton behind bars not only for their sake, but for those who could find themselves in harm’s way of Mr. Hamilton in the future. He has already proven himself a continued threat to society, having left the state while on house arrest (pending a re-trial), only to be arrested under intoxication and carrying a weapon very similar to that which took the life of Allen Fortune. Please help protect another family from experiencing the anguish the Fortune family has gone through by denying Chad Hamilton’s request for parole.

With deepest respect,
AnnaLee Livingston

-------------------------------------------------------

TO: Arkansas Parole Board

We are writing to let you know that we STRONGLY oppose the release of Chad Hamilton from prison on parole.

The first time he was tried, he was found guilty of murdering Allen Fortune and was sentenced to 20 years in prison. He appealed the decision and was then sentenced to 10 years. To only serve a VERY short time in prison for stabbing someone in the heart seems extremely unjust.

We have seen firsthand how the murder of Allen Fortune has affected the Fortune family, especially Allen's sister Angela. She has spent most of her life taking care of her mother (Jeannie) who has had multiple health issues including being on dialysis, heart problems etc. Angela is one of the most loving, giving, self-less people I have ever met. Jeannie always told Angela that if something ever happened to her "you and Allen will ALWAYS have each other." The night he was killed, my sister was at Angela's house. When she heard Angela crying and screaming, she thought the phone call was news that her mom had died. It was horrifying to learn that Allen, known by his friends as a peacemaker, had tried to break up a fight and was stabbed in the heart by Chad Hamilton. Two days after the funeral, Angela's mom was back in the hospital for a month. Her health gradually deteriorated even more over the next couple of years and I believe she also had a deep depression over the loss of her baby boy.

Allen's death has absolutely devastated Angela. It has affected her life in so many ways and it is still hard for her to even talk about everything that happened.

During Chad Hamilton's retrial, Jeannie again was very sick and was already in the hospital in Little Rock. Angela and my sister would drive to Stuttgart to listen for a SECOND time to the events of the night of her brother's murder over and over and over. Then they would drive back to Little Rock and stay with Jeannie through the night. On the last day of the trial, they walked into Jeannie's room to see a panicked look on her face with her hand to her heart. She was put into ICU that night and died two days later.

This family has suffered SOOOO much and it seems to us that for JUSTICE to be served and to honor the life of Allen Fortune we hope and pray that you will NOT grant parole for Chad Hamilton. He has shown NO remorse for the crime he committed. In fact, during some of the trials he would just sit and stare at the family and try to make eye-contact with them. If any of them looked at him, he would smirk.

Chad's grandparents live in the same neighborhood as Angela's brother (Stoney) and his wife and it was SO upsetting for them to know he was so near their home and their two children the first time he was released from prison. (Chad stayed with his grandparents.) Stoney's wife did not even feel comfortable letting her children ride their bikes anymore in their own neighborhood.

Thank you for taking the time to read our letter. We beg of you to DENY Chad Hamilton parole from prison.

Sincerely,
Dr. Glen and Lisa McSpadden

-------------------------------------------------------

Arkansas State Parole Board Members:

I strongly oppose the release of Chad Hamilton from prison. His violent crime of brutal murder not only robbed Allen Fortune of his life, but eternally impacted countless others. I’m sure that members of this board have tirelessly listened to and read vignettes of victims, where they are suddenly portrayed as nearly angelic or flawless. Please understand that, as a friend of the Fortune family, I knew Allen. This is not a sob story or me rewriting history. Allen Fortune was an exceptional young man, a peace maker and a beloved friend to many. His life was unfairly and unnecessarily taken by the convicted murderer who is requesting that you grant him parole after serving only two and one half years in exchange for a precious human life. Chad Hamilton would pose a threat to any community in which he resides and as a friend of the family and a citizen of Arkansas, I am asking that you protect the people of this great state by denying his request for parole.

I appreciate your serious consideration.

Sincerely,

James Seawel

8 comments:

  1. Dear Parole Board,

    Allen was a very special individual and a wonderful neighbor. I still can not fathom what caused Chad Hamilton to end Allen's life, and know that when he was previously released, he was caught with a similar weapon, and illegal substances in an intoxicated condition, which of course points directly as to what he would be doing again if he were released now.

    Allen was a very caring person, he started off life as a premature infant, and had struggles there. Later my son was also born premature, and Mrs. Jeannie kept him for a time. Allen was very good with my son, and had patience and compassion in dealing with him.

    Allen's death was caused by him trying to break up a fight, and instead of talking, or even focusing on his original victim, Chad Hamilton drew a very large knife, and stabbed my friend Allen, through the heart, cutting off a valve.

    Society will be in harm's way when Chad is released, and especially after TWO murder trials, and his sentence already being reduced, he should not be released on Parole. At a very minimum, he should be forced to serve out his sentence, this will help protect society from him, at least for that period of time, before he is released and murders again.

    Please consider our requests


    Charles Wright

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arkansas Parole Board Members,

    I did not know Allen personally, but he worked with my husband on our farm at the time of his death. From my husband's accounts, he was a very hard worker, dependable and a pleasant person to be around. Having been through a lot of employees at the farm, I know that Allen was valued very much and a true asset to our business.

    I received a phone call early morning after Allen's death from Allen's mother. She called to tell us that Allen would not be at work that morning. She explained to me what had happened. I can not describe the anguish in her voice and couldn't find the words to say to a mother that had lost her son so cruelly and unjustly.

    As a citizen of the quiet town where this happened, I strongly oppose the release of this criminal. I am certainly concerned about the safety of our town. I can not believe that our justice system would even have this possibility for parole come up for a crime that was committed without any doubt in cold blood. Please consider the impact this murder has had on the victim's family and the community, and deny parole.

    Sincerely,
    Cindy Leder

    ReplyDelete
  3. TO THE ARK. STATE PAROLE BOARD
    ALTHOUGH I NEVER MET ALLEN, I HAVE KNOWN HIS PARENTS FOR A GOOD MANY YEARS. I WORKED WITH HIS MOTHER FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS AND HAVE KNOWN HER TO BE ONE OF THE GREATEST PEOPLE THAT I HAVE EVER MET. SHE MOVED BACK TO ARK. FROM CHICAGO, AND WE ALWAYS KEPT IN TOUCH WITH EACH OTHER. I REMEMBER HER TELLING ME STORIES ABOUT HOW GOOD A SON THAT ALLEN WAS. I'VE ALSO HAD THE PLEASURE OF TALKING WITH ALLENS SISTER, AND HAVE FOUND THAT SHE HAS THE SAME GREAT QUALITIES AS HER MOTHER. ALLEN COMES FROM A GOOD HOME AND WAS BROUGHT UP TO BE A GOOD MAN. IT IS A SHAME THAT HIS LIFE HAS BEEN TAKEN. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH GOOD PEOPLE ON THIS EARTH, AND WE SHOULDN'T LET SOMEONE OFF THE HOOK THAT HAS TAKEN THE LIFE OF ANY PERSON, GOOD OR NOT SO GOOD, BUT ESPECIALLY A PERSON LIKE ALLEN. I DON'T KNOW THIS MAN THAT TOOK ALLENS LIFE, BUT I AM AGAINST LETTING HIM OUT OF PRISON. PLEASE TAKE MY PLEAD UNDER CONSIDERATION AND KEEP THIS PERSON LOCK UP BEHIND BARS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME ON THIS MATTER. WALTER J. BOULANGER

    ReplyDelete
  4. The murder of my good friend Allen Fortune is something I still think about to this day. What I saw and how I felt the night of his death is something I will never forget. Even though his friends and family have suffered the most throughout this whole ordeal, I believe that society as a whole will suffer the most. This is because Allen Fortune was a great person who was bound to do great things. I believe he would have made a big difference in our world. Allen was the light in the darkness and everyone could see that. He could have been one of the greatest things to ever happen to our community and Chad Hamilton took that away from us. I feel sorry for the people that didn't have the privlage to know Allen because he was the type of peron that lit up a room when he entered. He made everyone of us a better person. Even though he is gone his light still shines today in all that new him.

    There was no reason for Chad Hamilton to come to that party, there was no reason for him to refuse to leave when asked, and there was no reason for him to murder such a great person. To give this person parole would be just another mystake in our judicial system. Chad Hamilton deserved more punishment than he was given and he doesn't deserve to be paroled. For all our sakes and for Allen Fortune's I pray that Chad Hamilton recieves his full sentence. If he does recieve parole it will be a sad day. So please, do the right thing and deny this person parole.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah HendersonSeptember 02, 2010

    Dear Arkansas State Parole Board

    I did not personally know Allen Fortune, but I am very close to a friend of his. I have heard so much about the impact that Allen had on so many people's lives. It seems that he was such a sweet, caring, and gentle person who touched the lives of everyone he came into contact with. It is such a tragic thing that a precious life was cut so short in such an awfull way. I hurt for his family and friends and the pain and heartache that they have had and will continue to endure because of this.

    I strongly oppose the release of Chad Hamilton. I do not believe that it is right for someone who has cut a life short and devestated the lives of so many others to be released after only a few short years. This man does not deserve to be out on the streets where this could happen again to another family. I ask that you will take this into consideration and deny his parole.

    sincerely,

    Hannah Henderson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren OsburneSeptember 02, 2010

    Dear Arkansas Parole Board,
    I strongly oppose the early release of Chad Hamilton. I knew Allen my entire life and grew up with him. His mother baby-sat me and he was like an older brother. I am still very close to his sister, Angela. Angela, still mourns for her brother today. It is not fair that she should lose someone so precious to her when she needed him the most. It is such a tragedy that we lost this precious man. I was with the family the day after he was murdered. I saw their sorrow and witnessed the sorrow of an entire community. On that day, so much was lost. Allen was a wonderful, kind, hardworking, and compassionate person. I will never be able to forget that awful day when I heard of Allen’s tragic murder. I remember it vividly. I can feel and see the tears of his friends and family. I remember the grief and pain that I felt.
    I also fear for the community, Allen’s family and his friends if Chad Hamilton is released. So many people have been affected by Chad’s actions. I hope that our justice system realizes the gravity of releasing Chad Hamilton. He took a man’s life. Allen was a co-worker, a student brother, an uncle, a son, and a friend. I ask you to do what is right. Please do not release Chad Hamilton.
    Sincerely,
    Lauren Osburne

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Arkansas Parole Board Members,

    Allen was my cousin and even though we weren't that close, it's hard to describe all the pain that our family has went through over the past few years. Allen was one of the most sweetest people that you could ever meet. He would do anything for you no matter what it was, but that was taken away by Chad Hamiliton. Words can't describe how much it would hurt our family to see him walk freely among society. Chad Hamilton had no right to be at the party and had no right to take an innocent life. I believe that it would crazy to let someone walk free after the pain and sorrow that they have put us through. I sincerely hope that by everyone writing these notes that you will do the right thing and deny Chad Hamilton's parole. It would put not only our family, but Allen at peace as well by knowing that he cant be in society and possibly harm someone else. Thank you for your time.

    Sincerely,

    Megan Richards

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 24, 2013

    10 years is nothing compared to an entire life. How can they even consider letting him out early?!

    ReplyDelete